Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is caused by a virus named SARS-CoV-2 which has now been detected in many locations including right here in Sarasota. The CDC believes that more cases will be identified in the United States as we see more communities spread from person to person. At Private Physician Services we will continue to provide you with excellent care taking measures to ensure your safety.
The majority of coronavirus cases (81%) are mild, but there is a serious risk of complications particularly in the elderly and those with underlying medical issues.
Those affected may have symptoms ranging from mild to severe, resulting in death in the more severe cases. Symptoms of fever, cough, chest congestion and shortness of breath may appear 2-14 days after exposure in someone with COVID-19. The common cold, on the other hand, often includes sneezing, stuffy and/or runny nose, sore throat, watery eyes. If you have these symptoms, please call us so that we may guide you properly. We can help you distinguish between the causes of these symptoms. When necessary, we can arrange for further testing such as to determine if you have the flu and need treatment.
The most important step right now is taking preventive measures for yourself and other members of your household.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue. If you do not have a tissue, use your elbow, not your hand when able to do so to cover the mouth.
- Frequently washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, particularly before eating.
- Avoid public gatherings that are optional when possible.